Cambridge, Mass- The Lesley University Men's basketball squad claimed the NECC opener 81-77 over Becker College Tuesday evening. The Lynx came out hot off of the holiday break with five three pointers in their first five possessions of the game. Becker came as close as two points many times before taking their first lead since early on with just under four minutes left. A long range shot from Lesley with a minute on the clock solidified the victory. With the win the Lynx improve to 6-5 (1-0 NECC) while Becker drops to 5-7 (0-1 NECC).
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Lesley led the game off with five 3-pointers to give them a 15-9 lead seven minutes into play. Joey Martin paved the way for the Lynx sinking three 3-pointers in a row to kick start the offense. Xeo Golding was next from downtown, followed by another from Martin.
- Becker's Samuel Durodola netted a 3-pointer for the Hawks to get them within three points of Lesley, 14-17. Two buckets from Marquise Johnson extended Lesley's lead, but Durodola came back with anther make from beyond the arc to make the score 23-25 with six minutes to go in the first half.
- Johnson charged the Lynx during a 10-0 run collecting 6 points and 1 steal, enroute to a 42-36 advantage at the end of the first twenty.
- Martin continued his hot streak with two more 3-pointers to open up the second half and push to 10 point cushion.
- With 5:35 left in the game, Kareem Davis tied the game with deep three to make it 69 a piece. Durodola worked under the basket to the Hawks their first lead since early in the game and forced a Lesley time out.
- Martin continued to display the art of shooting, hitting his seventh 3-pointer on the night to give Lesley the lead 77-75 with just over a minute left to play. Johnson took a huge offensive charge with twenty seconds left which would seal the win the Lynx 81-77.
- Martin led all scorers with 30 points and eight 3-pointers. Durodola was close behind for Becker with 27 points.
Joey Martin- 30 points, 8-3 pointers, 8 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 blocks
Marquise Johnson- 19 points, 8 rebounds
Samuel Durodola- 27 points, 8 rebounds
Kareem Davis- 20 points
THE INSIDE SCOOP:
"I'm proud of how we executed tonight," said head coach Chris Giordano. "Conference games are a battle every night we play. We stuck together for forty minutes and also made some key plays to get us the win," Giordano concluded.
Junior Joey Martin alluded to the team sticking together and said "all 10 guys contributed to our victory tonight, it was a complete team win. We are happy about the game tonight, but we are now focused on our next game Thursday."
Lesley will host Southern Vermont College this Thursday for another NECC match up.