Cambridge, Mass- Four starters recorded double digit points for the Lesley Men's basketball team in a 99-87 win for NECC foe Newbury College. The Lynx controlled the game after the first 5 minutes of play and never allowed the Nighthawks to take the lead again. Lesley improves to 8-6 overall and extends their NECC record to 3-1. With the loss Newbury slips to 2-10 and falls 1-3 in NECC play.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Lesley went on a 9-0 run five minutes into the game to lead Newbury 16-8, and didn't allow the Nighthawks to recover the remainder of the game.
- Minutes later Joey Martin and Marquise Johnson combined for a 7-0 run at 11:47 to give the Lynx a 13 point spread halfway through the first half.
- Newbury's Miguel Rivera responded with a big 3-pointer to keep the Nighthawks in the game. His squad answered with a 11-2 run to close the gap and chasing the Lynx only by 4, 28-24 just under seven minutes left in the half.
- Jordan Bellitti led the charge for Lesley with 14 points in the first half, and 8 points nailed in the final 6 minutes. He sparked the Lynx to extend their lead to 50-36 going into the half.
- Lesley shot 19 for 33, good for a 57.6 FG% to best Newbury's 42.9 FG % in the half. Both teams shot about 45% from 3-point range with Lesley sinking 5 to Newbury's 4 long shots.
- Big second half performances from Johnson (12 points), Martin (13 points), and Will Gibson (12 points) ensured the Lynx victory despite the Nighthawks outscoring Lesley in the second half.
- Newbury's offensive pressure in the second was led by Jeduan Langston with 14 points and 2 assists.
- Langston kicked off a 9-1 run with a drive to the hoop at 12:23 to get within 11 points of the Lynx. Tim Deng sunk 2 free throws at 7:07 close the distance to 9 points, 72-63.
- The nighthawks surrendered to foul trouble giving the Lynx opportunities at the free throw line to regain a 10 point cushion and earn the 99-87 victory.
- Martin and Bellitti led the game with 21 points a piece, while Johnson and Gibson were close behind with 19 and 17 point performances.
- Langston lead the nighthawks with 19 points, and Rivera and Skeen each added 14 points in the effort.
- Lesley had an overall FG % of 54.4, while Newbury shot 47%. Lesley continued to prove their shooting game ending with 42.1% from 3-point range to the Nighthawk's 22.7%.
- The Newbury defense forced more turnovers on the Lynx while grabbing 10 steals to Lesley's 8.
Marquis Johnson- 19 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals
Joey Martin- 21 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists
Jordan Bellitti- 21 points, 2 assists, 1 steal
Jeduan Langston- 19 points, 8 rebounds, 3 steals
Miguel Rivera- 14 points
Donnell Skeen- 14 points
Lesley next travels to Dean College on Thursday evening for a 8pm tip off.