North Myrtle Beach, SC: Lesley's softball team concluded their opening day's action on Saturday, March 10 with a four run victory over Alfred State, 8-4. The Lynx fell behind on two occasions but battled their way with a 5-run 6th inning to secure the victory and 2-0 end to their first outing.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Alfred State took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first after capitalizing on a Lynx miscue.
- Senior Theresa Pereira led off the top of the third with a single and followed up with stealing second base on the next pitch. Freshman Kristen DiCicco moved Pereira to third on a ground out to second base and set up a perfectly executed sacrifice fly to deep left field off the bat of senior Courtney Goggin.
- Freshman pitcher Jordan Day struck out the side in the bottom of the third, then followed up with a 2-out triple in the next frame. Day then scored on a wild pitch to even the score 2-2 midway through the 4th inning.
- Morgan Franklin placed a single on the right field line that scored 2 runs and gave the Pioneers a 4-2 lead in the bottom of the 5th.
- Freshman Riley Pickett led off the 6th with a walk and then scored from first off a right-center double from junior Ashleigh Acker. Day struck again with a double in the right-center gap to score Acker.
- The Lynx earned 3 more runs in the frame off RBI's from Pereira, DiCicco, and Goggin to take a 7-4 lead.
- Lesley tacked on one more run in the top of the 7th to give a 4-run lead to freshman closer Tallin Goldberg. Goldberg pitched a perfect three up, three down inning to secure the victory for the Lynx.
- The Lynx showed their offensive strengths with 14 hits in the game to the Pioneers 3.
- Freshman pitcher Jordan Day had 12 strikeouts to only 3 walks in the win. Day went 3 for 4 at the plate with 2 doubles, 1 triple, and an RBI.
- Senior Courtney Goggin went 2 for 3 with 2 RBI and 1 stolen base.
THE INSIDE SCOOP:
"We showed up ready to compete today and became the team on the field we've been working to become," said Head Coach Heather Ross. "One of our biggest goals for the week was to find our identity and on day one to accomplish that was truly great to see. We showed grit and trust in the process and each other, and that's why we were able to win both games from behind," concluded Ross after her side's two wins on opening day.