The Lesley women's basketball team closed out the Thomas Tip Off Classic with a 71-51 loss to UMaine Farmington Sunday afternoon at Larry Mahoney Gym on the campus of Thomas College. Lesley took an early lead in the game, but the Beavers went on a 13-0 run to close out the first quarter with a 21-13 advantage. The Beavers never looked back and continued to drive the scoring gap to a 71-51 final score. The Lynx drop to 0-3 in their young season, while the Beavers improve to 2-0.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Sophomore Linda Wallentine kicked off the scoring in the game with two 3 pointers for the Lynx.
- The Beavers responded with a 13-0 run to take control of the game with points off the bench from Sara Lamb and Haley Felkel.
- Senior Theresa Pereira for the Lynx and McKennz Brodeur for the Beavers led the game in scoring with 16 a piece. Pereira was 3-7 from downtown and 5-13 in field goals, and Brodeur had 7 steals and 9 rebounds to accompany her scoring.
- Wallentine and Sophomore Dakota Jones each had 10 points while Jones had a double-double with 14 rebounds. Wallentine finished with 7 rebounds and 3 assists.
- The Beavers finished the game with a 36.9% shooting (24-65), 35.7% from three-point land (5-14) and 75% at the free throw line (18-24). Lesley finished with a 30.3% from the floor (20-66), 35.3% from behind the arc (6-17) and 55.6% at the free throw line (5-9).
- Lesley out rebounded the Beavers 50-43, while the Beaver had 12 steals to the Lynx 8.
"We played hard to the end and didn't give up," said head coach Jake Mattleman. "We are proud of our fight and made some solid steps towards getting to where we need to be," he concluded. Sophomore captain Linda Wallentine said; "coach challenged us to win the fourth quarter and we accomplished our goal. We are excited to build off that and use it going forward."