Cambridge, Mass- The Lesley University Women's basketball team opened up the NECC conference slate with a 52-32 win over Bay Path University on Saturday afternoon. The lynx embraced the New Year earning their first victory on the season improving to 1-9 overall and 1-0 in NECC play. The Wildcats slip to 0-9 overall. A big 16-1 first quarter set the tone for the Lynx, never allowing the Wildcats to gain control or the lead in the match.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Lesley opened up the game scoring in their first possession when senior Theresa Pereira sunk a three pointer off a crisp pass from sophomore Linda Wallentine. Two possessions later Pereira hit again for a lay up to give the Lynx a 7-0 lead in the first two minutes of play.
- The Lynx played excellent defense in the first 10 minutes running away 3 steals turning into 6 transition points.
- The Wildcats took control of the final 10 minutes in the first half out scoring the Lynx 14-6 behind a 7 point effort from Joanne Nazario, and an addition 6 points from Emmeline Bronson. Baypath was able to close the gap and make it 15-22 in favor of the Lynx at the half.
- Forwards Dakota Jones and Elizabeth Portante pounded the paint for Lesley out of the half combining for 12 points and 6 rebounds to regain momentum and extend the Lynx lead to 14 points.
- Lesley went back on the defensive prowl behind from freshman Tova Brown creating many ball deflects and creating turnovers for the Wildcats. The lynx orchestrated 5 steals in the final 10 minutes of play to limit Bay Path's scoring opportunities and secure the 52-32 victory.
- Lesley dominated the game inside the paint netting 32 of their total 52 points from close range, compared to the Wildcards 6.
- Bay Path boasted the top 3 point range precentage at 27.3% to Lesley's 16.7%, while both teams shot at just over 60% from the free throw line.
- Lesley was able to capitalize off the Wildcat miscues sinking 18 points off turn overs to Bay Path's 3 points, which was ultimately the difference maker for the victorious Lesley squad.
Elizabeth Portante- 12 points, 4 rebounds, 2 steals
Joanne Nazario- 10 points, 6 rebounds, 5 steals
Emmeline Bronson- 11 points,
Paige Marshall- 7 points, 12 rebounds
THE INSIDE SCOOP:
"This was a great all around team win for us, I'm really proud of our team," said head coach Jake Mattleman. "We have fought all year and today's game was the result of a lot of hard work. We are ready to keep it rolling into next week."
Lesley next looks to extend it's NECC winning mark at Wheelock College on Thursday January 11.