Cambridge, Mass.- The Lesley women's basketball team dropped their season opener, 78-53 to UMaine-Presque Isle on Monday afternoon. With the win the Owls improve to 2-1 on the year while the Lynx kick of the 2018-2019 campaign 0-1.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- The Owls opened the first quarter on a 15-2 run, then extended their lead 23-7 by the end of the first ten minutes of play.
- Kacey Johnson netted the first points of the second quarter for the Lynx on back to back made free throws to make it 23-9. The Owls answered on a 8-0 run sparked by Rhylee Wright sinking two buckets and three free throws.
- Dakota Jones and Theresa Pereira combined for 12 of the Lynx 14 total points in the second quarter, and bring the score to 43-21 going into the half.
- Lesley came out after the break outscoring the Owls 16-14 in the third, and had another hard fought battle sinking another 16 points in the final ten minutes but it wasn't enough make up the different in the first half from the dominant Owl attack, en route to the 78-53 final.
- Wright recorded a double-double for the Owls, with 28 points and 16 rebounds in the win. Hunter Mercier chipped in 11 points off the bench.
- Jones recorned a double-double for the Lynx in the loss with 13 points and 15 rebounds, while Pereira led the Lynx with 18 points. Newcomer Johnson chipped in 9 points for Lesley in her first collegiate match.
Lesley next travels to Wheaton College on Friday November 16th for another non-conference game.