Medford, Mass.—The Lesley University Women's Basketball team hosted Rivier University in a non-conference game on Thursday evening at Medford Gymnasium. The Raiders had a dominant second quarter to earn the 78-57 victory, their first win on the season. With the loss, Lesley slips to 0-6 on the young season.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Both teams exchanged the lead in the opening quarter before Raiders's ace Kaylee Kacavas drove to the hoop for a layup and sparked an 8-0 run to end the first ten minutes leading 17-11.
- Lesley senior Sarah Tobin worked the paint for the Lynx only two field goals in the second quarter,
- Rivier took a 35-15 lead on the back of Kacavas going into the half, outscoring Lesley 18-4 in the final ten minutes of the half.
- Dakota Jones opened the second half strong for Lesley netting the first four points and sparking a quick 9-0 run to close the gap.
- Lynx fouls put Kacavas at the line for four straight free throws and get momentum back to the Raider side.
- After two made free throws by Theresa Pereira for the Lynx, the Raiders went on a 17-4 run to extend the lead to 56-30 with just over eleven minutes left in the game.
- Despite Lesley outscoring Rivier 22-18 in the final quarter, with Pereira and Jones combining for 17 points, it wasn't enough to keep the powerful visitor offense from claiming the 78-57 victory.
- Kacavas lead the Raiders with 43 points, including three field goals from down town and a perfect 8-8 from the free throw line. Elizabeth Meehan chipped in 10 points, 8 rebounds, and 3 steals in the victory.
- Jones continues to control the game down low for the Lynx with her sixth straight double-double recording 17 points and 12. Pereira matched Jones with 17 points of her own and 3 steals.
Lesley returns to NECC conference play Saturday December 1st when they travel to Dean College with a 12pm tip off time.