Revere, MA. - Lesley University softball split conference doubleheader with Elms College on Sunday Afternoon at Ardagna Field. In game one, Elms won 8-0 after five innings. Meanwhile, Lesley would take game two, 8-1. The Lynx move to 17-11 overall, while they move to 5-3 in New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) action. The Blazers improve to 8-14 record on the season, 6-2 in conference play.
GAME 1-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Blazers would strike first in the second inning with four runs from a grand slam. Elms would grab two runs in the third and the fifth to hold an 8-0 lead.
- The Lesley offense was held in check as the Blazers took the contest 8-0 after five innings.
- Jordan Day (Seminole, FL.) takes the loss allowing six runs on just two hits.
- Lesley collected four hits in the game. Riley Pickett (Rocky Hill, CT.), Jordan Raab (Rochester, N.H.), and Stephanie Schofield (Woodside, CA.) each came up with a single, while Day had a double.
GAME 2-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Elms would grab the first run as a fielder's choice scored the first run. However, Lesley would respond in the bottom of the inning and take the lead. Schofield started the inning with a double down the right field line, to get the Lynx in scoring position.
- Two batters later, Mahlia Medina (Winchester, CA.) reached base from a single. This set up Pickett for a single of her own to plate Schofield for the Lynx first run. After a pitching change from the Blazers, Day launched her team leading seventh homerun of the season. This gave the Lynx a 4-1 lead that would prove to be the decisive at bat.
- Lesley would come back for more in the fourth inning. After Schofield reached on a single, and Lindsey Jensen (Milton, MA.) reached on a walk, Medina doubled to score another pair of runs for the Lynx.
- The Lynx tacked on two more runs in the sixth inning. With Schofield and L. Jensen on base, Day knocked a line drive to opposite field to score both base runners. Lesley would take game two, 8-1, for the win.
- Jen Thorburn (Groton, MA) pitched a gem from the circle, allowing just two hits and surrendering three walks while striking out five batters in a complete game effort.
- The Lynx posted 12 hits during the contest with Day and Schofield leading the way with three hits each. Day finished the contest with five RBI's, while Medina contributed two of her own.
Lesley (17-11) travel to Tufts University for a non-conference DH on Wednesday, April 7. Elms College (8-14) travel to Smith College on Tuesday, April 16, for a pair of non-conference games.