Revere, MA. - Lesley University softball pulled out two wins, on Senior Night, during doubleheader with Newbury College on Friday evening at Adagna Field. In game one, the Lesley offense posted 11 runs in an 11-5 win. Meanwhile in game two, Lesley allowed just one hit in a 9-0 shutout after five innings. The Lynx improve to 19-13 overall, while it moves to 7-5 in New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) action. The Mariners move to 8-19 record on the season, 5-5 in conference play.
GAME 1-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Lesley jumped out to an early lead with seven runs in the first two innings. In the first inning, Ashleigh Acker (Apopka, FL.) started with a RBI single, which brought home Jordan Day (Seminole, FL.) who reached on a double.
- The runs continued in the second inning as a Mahlia Medina (Winchester, CA.) sacrifice fly scored Kristen DiCicco (Wantagh, N.Y.). Next, Lesley scored two runs on a wild pitch, as Sam Jensen (Milton, MA.) and Lindsey Jensen (Milton, MA.) both reached home, S. Jensen from third and L. Jensen from second.
- The runs continued to come in the second, as Ally Murphy (Raynham, MA.) singled with the bases loaded to bring home two more runs. DiCicco followed with an RBI single of her own to give the Lynx a 7-0 advantage after two innings. However, Newbury scored five runs of their own in the third and fourth inning to close the gap to just two runs, 7-5 Lesley.
- Lesley would respond with three runs in the fourth. First, Jordan Raab (Rochester, N.H.) doubled with runners on first and second to score one run. Murphy followed with a single to clear the bases and bring home two more runs. Lesley would tack on one more run in the fifth courtesy of a Day single.
- Lesley would walk away with game one by a final of 11-5.
- Day picked up the win in 5.2 innings of work, adding six strikeouts and just two hits.
- The Lynx as a group collected 13 hits, from seven different student-athletes. Day, Acker, and Murphy all posted three hits during the contest.
GAME 2-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Lesley would strike first in the first inning as Riley Pickett (Rocky Hill, CT.) scored after Acker reached on an error.
- In the second inning Lesley struck again with one swing of the bat. Day knocked her ninth homerun of the season with the bases loaded to hold a 5-0 lead.
- The Lynx posted two more runs in the third inning, as S. Jensen and L. Jensen scored after Pickett reached on an error.
- The contest would end on a Medina single, as she brought S. Jensen home and pushed L. Jensen to third. S. Jensen reached on a double and L. Jensen singled to setup Medina's game ending hit. Lesley would end the game with a 8-0 victory after five innings.
- Jen Thorburn (Groton, MA.) pitched a complete game just allowing one hit, while also registering a K and didn't allow a walk. The Nighthawks did not bring more than three batters to the plate during a half inning over the course of the game.
- Lesley posted six hits as a team, with L. Jensen leading the way with two. L. Jensen and S. Jensen each picked up two stolen bases. L. Jensen (10) and S. Jensen (9) are currently fifth and sixth in the NECC rankings in that category.
Lesley (19-13, 7-5) travel to Bay Path College for conference DH on Wednesday, April 24, with games set to begin at 3:00 and 5:00 PM. Newbury College (8-19, 5-5) host Becker College on Monday, April 22, for a pair of conference games.