Brookline, Mass. – Lesley University Women's Basketball were upended by Newbury College, 81-56, Saturday afternoon at Pappas Gymnasium. The Lynx drop to 1-17 overall, 1-11 in conference. Meanwhile, Newbury College advance to 7-11 on the season, 5-6 in conference.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- The game started with the home team breaking away from the Lynx courtesy a 7-0 run, capped off by a Savannah Olsen layup. Lesley responded with a 7-0 run of their own, Dakota Jones provided four points during the stretch. Jones closed the quarter with two layups to give Lesley the lead after one quarter, 18-17.
- Newbury had an emphasis on defense coming out for the second quarter. The Nighthawks come out and took the lead on an Olsen layup, Olsen added two free throws closely after to make the lead three points. Sarah Tobin brought led to just one point at the 7:26 mark.
- From there the Nighthawks held the Lynx scoreless for the rest of the quarter while expanding their lead to 17, finishing 37-20 going into halftime.
- After the break, Newbury College continued to attack the basket scoring the first three points of the quarter. Lesley put the cut lead to 16 points after a Tobin jumper. From there, the Nighthawks went on 17-5 stretch to close the quarter 62-34.
- The Lynx did what they could to get back into it as Theresa Pereira knocked down a three pointer early in the quarter. However, Newbury expanded their lead to as many as 31 points before the contest ended, 81-56 Newbury College.
- Lesley was spearheaded by Jones, recording 22 points and 18 rebounds. Pereira added 13 points to the total.
- Newbury had four players reach double figures, led by Jaymesha Sanders with 20 points. Jada Gee paced 16 points, Taylor Kelley contributed 10 points, while Olsen added a double-double, 15 points and 10 rebounds.
Lesley (1-17, 1-11) are back against Northern Vermont University - Johnson on Wednesday, January 30th, tip off set for 8:00PM. Newbury College (7-11, 5-6) will next play Mitchell College at home Tuesday, January 29th, beginning at 7:00PM.